In a fit of making things last night I wanted to make something yummy, as I hadn’t baked anything in ooges I wanted to make something really nice but not as indulgent as my usual cupcakes are. Something quick, fun and easy! So I decided to give Kaylah’s colourful cupcakes a go using a basic plain cupcake recipe!
Colourful Cupcakes Recipe
100g caster sugar
100g self raising flour
almond or vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 200’c and line a 12 hole bun tin with paper cases.
2. Cream butter and sugar together with a spoon in a mixing bowl till light and fluffy. Add beaten eggs a little at a time and beat really well after each addition. Pour a tiny amount of your choosen essence into the mix. Using a metal spoon fold in the flour and add a small amount of milk if the mixture is too dry.
3. Get four small bowls and four spoons. Separate the mixture into the bowls and add colouring to each, mixing really well. A small amount of food colouring goes a long way, take your time to achieve the desired colour. I used red, yellow and blue colouring and also mixed the red and blue to make purple. I ran out of yellow trying to make green (blue&yellow!) so I ended up with a grey sort of colour, weird but whatever!
4. Spoon your mixes into your cases carefully with each colour at a time. You can make four colourful layers in a cake or you can make blobs of colour to make lots of little layers. Again, take your time! Try not to mix the colours together!
5. Bake for 10-20 minutes, checking at the 15 minute time to see if they’re cooked through and a little crispy on top. And that’s it! I use these silicon cases to make my cakes but it would look better to use white paper cases so you can see the colours all the way through. Makes an awesome party treat or a just for funsies treat! :)
This is my third time making monster colourful cupcakes, last time Monts and I made them we covered them in lots of yummy sweets like silver balls and lovehearts! Happy Baking! XO